The Jefferson County Historical Society is a privately-supported, non-profit organization founded in 1850. The mission of the society is to educate the public about Jefferson County History through educational programs and displays, through the acquisition and maintenance of historic materials and through the provision of research opportunities for people interested in local history.
The society maintains the History Center campus which has a main building with the history museum, the children’s room and the library/archives, the historic 1895 railroad station with its large display of railroad memorabilia, and the 1918 authentically restored caboose.
The staff of the Historical Society is:
John Nyberg, Director
JoAnne Spiller, Education Director
Beth Black, Office Manager
The phone number is 812-265-2335.