The Society’s History Center museum building houses permanent and changing displays interpreting important eras of Jefferson County history. Found here are the Research Library and Archives and our administrative offices.
On the Heritage Center grounds is the restored Madison Railroad Station, a brick Victorian-era passenger depot noted for its octagonal waiting room which is over two stories tall. Built in 1895 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, it served travelers until 1931, when passenger service to Madison was discontinued. During the Great Depression, it was used as a community center until the railroad converted it into a freight terminal. In 1962, the railroad sold the building to an electrical supply company, which used it as a warehouse.